Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Don't forget to put on your blinker.

Every Friday, I cruise down the interstate heading to my part time job in Burlington. This is in addition to the full time job at the ski resort, the committees and volunteer organizations I'm a part of, and my other full time job as a mom to two furries. There are so many ways that we all spend our time that, much like my weekly commute, we all go ten (or twenty) above the speed limit to get around our days.

In good weather, racing along the spine of the Green Mountains is a really pretty drive. Relaxing, almost. When I get on, I'm inevitably running late and spend most of my time in the left lane, guzzling my coffee and bagel and listening to NPR. I pass mini vans, trucks, old beaters, and get passed by Audi's and Beemers. Everyone's speeding along until we get to our exit, then we pull off, park, and start the next part of our day. We race home, microwave some food, scratch the dog, and proceed to watch a movie, go to bed, do it all again in the morning. Surfing through the channels, the web, and life.

I'm ready to get out of the left lane. Get of the highway entirely, if I can. I'm 24, I just got married, I have a stable - if small - income, and I'm ready to slow down.

Those of you who know me would expect a blog about climbing and skiing, a puppy/kitten worship blog, or a blog about trees. Not saying there won't be anything about that, but my focus (for now) will be on home made projects: old school baking, household sustainability, gardening, smart buying, and more. Once I get a better feel for what's taking shape, I'll be asking for ideas/contributions. Expect to see:
  • How to build and maintain your own kitchen compost (you thought I was obsessed with my dog, you should hear me rave about my worms!)
  • The Bread diaries
  • The poor college graduates guide to gardening
  • The Lumberjack versus the Picky Wife: Localvore menu's for any palette
  • Burly and Nugget's guide to systematically destroying everything of value
  • Reviews of 'green' products - this is a new obsession of mine. They're so damn expensive, but are they worth it?
I know there are a million trustifarian's out there blogging about the same thing. I hope what makes this a little different is I try to be green, but we can't afford it. I try to eat local, healthy, and organic, but I also freaking love a Big Mac with extra cheese. All of the documentaries on corn syrup have me scared shitless, but I still drink gallons of Coke. I love my puppy, but sometimes I wish he still had nuts for me to kick him in. Life is full of paradoxes,  but I believe that realizing we have choices to make and educating ourselves on them is the first real step to slowing down and changing our lives.

I don't know if that sounds interesting. I don't even know if I'd read it. But before we run out of gas, we need to figure something out. This is my attempt.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the detailed lives of Burley and Nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might as well give up and buy a share in shitmypetruined.com

    ReplyDelete